Paula stained all the decks and all the railings on the big house (and there are a LOT of decks and railings on this place). Her friend Wendy helped her, and I am thankful that I did not have to touch a brush! 16 gallons of stain (and counting – she’s not quite done yet).
Nothing much new but it’s been a while…the garden is in and growing…some stuff looks like it could use a bit of help so we will fertilize this week. Our soil tends to be low in phosphorus.
Chicks are moved to the big coop and we lost one in the transition but the others look much healthier and are growing nicely. Hens are still producing like crazy.
Last evening we picked our first few strawberries. We netted the blueberries and strawberries and put straw around them. The grapes are setting new leaves…we are thankful that the frost didn’t entirely kill them.
The steers have stayed in…we are thankful for that too. This weekend we will finish planting the garden and work on moving the herbs and flowers.
Today I’m cleaning the big chicken coop and moving the chicks from the garage to the coop. Also continuing work on the garden – hopefully we’ll plant it today.
A couple of Poppies bloomed and I think some of the Peonies will open today. I’ll post pics if able.
Last night’s Truth Project tour was “God and man”. Very interesting. I’m really enjoying the series. I wish now I’d taken the training when they offered it and got a copy of the DVD series for myself.
I called in “late” to work. I’ll go walk the fence, check the charger, and kill the cow if I can catch it.
Sunday was church and home group, both of which were pretty good, and a 10 mile bike trip.
Today’s goal was to move the laying hens from the big coop to the little coop to make room for the meat chickens in the big coop.
In order for that to happen we had to put up about 300 feet of chicken fence, build a gate, nest boxes, roosts, etc.
We managed to get it all done just as it was getting dark.
The laying hens are now in their new “digs”. We’ll see how effective the new fence is tomorrow when we let them out.
Company coming Tuesday through Friday.
Transplanted seedlings yesterday; lost grape vines, some strawberries, and many flowers to hard frost last night. Bummer. We always seem to plant too early.
Homegroup “met” at the Chinese restaurant after church on Sunday, then ended up informally continuing at our house after all. The weekend was good.
It was another busy but productive day on the farm ….
We launched into the garden, and gramma gave lessons …
… then enlisted her willing helpers to get the seeds planted
The result was a beautiful raised bed plot which really didn’t seem to take nearly as much effort as I was afraid it would.
We also started some new grapes, transplanted over 80 strawberries, added two new blueberry bushes to the blueberry row …..
… cleaned the chicken coop, and still managed to squeeze in a “date” by zooming downtown for a couple hours to see May Mart, have lunch at the Frenchcreek Cafe, and visit with a few family members.
Busy but productive day at Big Oak Ridge!