Today was a rainy day. A good day to burn brush in the new cow pasture. We all got soggy, and then had a nice lunch. Later we are making noodles!
Today I had Ashlynne go take pictures of the farm animals to post so you can all see how they are doing. The chicken are laying. We have been getting a dozen eggs a day (they are for sale if you want some). They are also very friendly, they peck you boots when you gather eggs and let you pick them up and move them without a fight.
The cows are getting pretty big. It was a bummer to have to winter them over, but it was not that much work and it didn’t seem like it cost that much either. The pasture is a lot of wet yucky mud right now. We will get the rest of the fence up as soon as the ground thaws.
Today we worked on clearing more pasture for the cows and the goats. We were mainly clearing were the greenhouse will go. This means more firewood, but it also means my arms hurt.
Also assembled a greenhouse frame. Now we just have to measure it and get plastic on it.
We have been having a rash of forum users trying to make user names that aren’t real people. I am working to upgrade us to the newest version of the forum today to eliminate this problem. The next solution will be to take away the automated sign up process and make everyone ask for a login.
If you are trying to login, please be patient while this process is completed.
Well, we always joke that there are 3 seasons here. Summer, Winter, and Mud. It looks like mud is upon us. These shots show the water laying in the yard and the cow fields and the mud in the drive way and me after wading through it.
I noticed the calendar says it’s time to start looking for goats, but it’s not looking good for that to happen this year.
I’m probably just going to focus on the garden and getting the chicken fence up this year – I’ll be lucky if I get that much done.
Maybe next year…
Randy will be leading a discussion on “being led by the Spirit” at next week’s home group (March 1). Paula will be leading the discussion March 8 when the topic will be “Nutrition 2: Good fats, bad fats, and the ‘five deadly sins'”, unless Randy’s topic turns into a two-meeting discussion.
Found a source today for a FREE worm colony! We found out through a back door that the son of some old friends of ours did a vermiculture project for his senior project in high school. The parents have been maintaining the worm box for the last four years while their son was at college. They are willing to trade their already going worm culture for some help building a raised bed garden! (Wow, this community thing is actually starting to work!)
SO… those of you who come to Big Oak Ridge on a regular basis, we’re really going to need you to start saving your organic garbage. We need to feed worms, start a thermophilic compost pile (for the composting toilet), build lasagna garden beds, and maintain chickens – all of which can use organic trash.
ALSO: the same people who have the worm bed told me about ECHO. Apparently there’s already quite a bit of groundwork laid for the kind of projects we’d like to get involved in. It’s good to know we really don’t have to re-invent the wheel.
Things are already starting to ramp up for spring. Yesterday we bought all the materials to build our new seed starting rack for starting seed indoors. Pictures to follow.
So today, during the super windy snowy weather, we got more hay for the cows. Chris’s “Old Blue” could only handle one at a time, but they were not hard to roll off. Shelli and I did it pretty easily.
We visited the Carriage Hill Metropark Farm yesterday. The farm is being “restored” to look (and function) as it did at the turn of the century (1895-1916), including a program to breed the animals back to what they were like in that era.
Yesterday I spent the day cutting wood and cleaning up. We had several trees come down in the high wind the night before. One of the trees was across the road. Since I heat with wood this was just fine for me. I cut up the one across the road first and brought it up. The second one was just as big, but I had cut it a couple of days before. So I just had to split it and load it up. This second one had barbed wire in it from the days of the old farm before us. They used to just wrap it around trees and nail it in place. This wire is probably about 50 years old. Maybe more. The black rust marks from it went about 6ft up the tree. The tree was maybe 4-5inches around when they put the wire around it. When I cut it was good 24inches across.
I also spent some time cleaning up junk the blew around. Our generic tin shed got destroyed and it blew into the fence and broke a few insulators. I guess I will fix it up today and cut the rest of the trees that are along the roads. I also hauled some lumber for the wood shed from up at Joe saw mill. He had scabby left overs that aren’t good enough to sell that he lets me have.