This video is a little out of order – sorry – but it shows us going to get the goats.
We tried a few experimental things this year and it’s exciting to see things growing.
We started two beds of asparagus. The crowns languished in the ground for almost 4 weeks and we were beginning to wonder if they had rotted with all the wet weather we have been having. I walked out to the garden on Sunday and was excited to see 6″ tall spears where there was nothing the day before. The beets and carrots are also up. The little seedlings that I grew and transplanted also look very happy. They actually benefited from the cool, wet weather. The tomatoes and vines that I put in our experimental straw bale garden look very happy and healthy.
This year we had an exceedingly long wet spring and I wondered if we would be able to plant anything. But we are now one week away from Memorial Day (our “safe” time to plant) and our entire garden is planted and there is no sign of frost anywhere in the 10 day forecast. I attribute much of our ability to early planting to our raised beds…others in our area are unable to till their soil or get in their conventional plots because it has been so wet.
The chicks are almost two weeks old and starting to feather nicely. “Egg” chickens are so different from “meat” chickens…they are trying to fly already and barely eat anything.
Our long snowy winter has turned into an even longer wetter spring. We are dodging rain drops in an attempt to put in the garden I have planted broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and brussels sprouts that I grew from seed. Last week Keturah and I planted beets and carrots. The other night Ryan and Shelli helped me weed and plant 3 more beds…we planted peas and onions. I put in a few Butternut squash plants too. Now the main garden is full-since half of it is strawberry plants. The berries are blooming and it is looking like we’ll get a good crop this year. I planted tomatoes and a few vines (not sure if they’re melons or cukes) in our experimental straw bales. Kent is faithfully working on more beds so that I can finish planting– peppers, potatoes and beans. In spite of the nasty weather, we are ahead of schedule for the year.
Last Saturday we fenced the main garden….deer love starawberry plants. This is phase one of our double ring of fence around the garden with chickens inside. Hopefully we will finish before the chicks get old enough to go out.
We were approved as a Harvest Host and got listed in the April directory. We can accommodate one rig. It is a slightly tricky back in spot, but an experienced driver should be just fine. There is wifi and electric available at the spot.
Signup over at http://harvesthosts.com to get your directory listings of free places to park.
Some pictures of the (nearly) completed flower bed work.
Paula got a lot of work done on the herb beds, too.
It was great to have the grandkids to help!
Today we were blessed with another day of reasonable weather. We mulched around the peonies and lillies that form a border around the front drive. We also cleaned the “big coop” in preparation for the arrival of new chicks soon.
The first “Big Oak Ridge” educational video.
Today was the first really nice day we’ve had, and we put it to good use. We gathered and shredded the Pampas grass, cleaned and replanted the strawberry beds, planted some asparagus, and redid the paths in the garden. Photos and videos to follow soon.
Today (before the rain started) I cleaned out the small chicken coop and spread the litter in a layer about 2 inches deep on the top of our new “straw bale raised beds”. Now that it has rained my hope is that the chicken litter will fertilize the bales the help get them ready for planting.
I also finally got a chance to put “Big Ben”, the new wheelbarrow, to work.